If you’re one of the many people who are looking to move in to Australia, then congratulations! Australia is one of the most urbanised countries in the world, with big-city attractions like Perth, Sydney, Melbourne, and many more. It is also famous for its wide open spaces such as beaches, deserts, and natural wonders.
Whether if you’re looking for temporary or permanent work, Australia is always welcoming skilled expats who are ready to contribute to their economy. Australia offers a variety of different visas that suit your intended purpose. Here we’ll be discussing the three main categories that are relevant to expats that are seeking employment in Australia. It is also critical to consult an Australian visa expert for further information.
To start with, here is a list of the basic requirements all visa applicants must comply no matter which category they fall under. These requirements are:
- Passing an English proficiency exam. You must be proficient in the English language and you are required to achieve a certain score in the English exam that’s specified on your visa category. You may be required to attend an English class before arriving in Australia if it’s not your native language.
- Have the necessary qualifications, work experience, and skills. Visa applicants must have the required skills and qualifications that are listed on the Australia’s Skilled Occupations List before their application is accepted.
- You must pass a character assessment. A character requirement is required for all visa applicants. In order to pass, you must have no substantial criminal records and you have good general behaviour.
- Meet certain health requirements. Visa applicants are required to meet certain health requirements so they are deemed fit to work. These requirements will be listed in your visa application. If you are asked to have a health exam before your arrival, make sure to check out the Australian Embassy’s list of government-approved doctors.
- Signing the Australian Values Statement. Before your visa application is granted, you will have to sign the Australian Values Statement which signifies that you’re willing to obey the laws of the country and embrace the Australian way of life.
Here are some visas for skilled expats with job offers from employers.
You are going to have to apply for an Employer Sponsored Migration visa if you already have an employer in Australia who is ready to sponsor you. They will apply this visa on your behalf and visa types in this category include temporary and permanent visas which we’ll discuss below.
The Temporary Work (Skilled) visa is the most common visa that grants skilled workers to move to Australia and work under approved business for a maximum period of four years after it is granted. You should be sponsored by an approved business in Australia in order to hold this visa.
The Employer Nominated Scheme visa is a type of permanent visa that allows skilled workers who are nominated by their employer to work and live in Australia permanently. Your occupation must be on the relevant list of skilled occupations and you must be fluent in English in order to hold this visa.
Visas for skilled expats who are seeking employment in Australia
If you’re a skilled worker and you have no job offers from employers in Australia, you can apply for the Skillselect program. It’s Australia’s new online system where skilled workers can submit an EOI (Expression of Interest) to be considered for a skilled Australian visa. You must possess the necessary qualifications and skills to work in an occupation that’s present on the Australian Occupations list.
Registering an EOI is not a visa application itself but rather indicating an interest to apply for a visa. Using Skillselect allows skilled workers to be nominated for an Australian visa by potential employers and receive a sponsorship. Once you’ve completed your EOI, you will be given a number of points that are ranked through automatic and objective processes to see if you’re eligible for a skilled visa. If you are, then you’ll receive an invite to apply for an Australian skilled independent visa.
Skilled Migration visa
There are certain criterias that need to be met if you are interested in applying for a skilled migration visa. Australia has changed their General Skilled Migration program into the Skillselect program that’s mentioned above. Potential immigrants must meet these requirements:
- You must be under 45 years of age at the time of your application.
- English proficiency. You must be fluent in speaking the English Language
- Your qualifications will be assessed and evaluated by the relevant assessing authority in Australia to see if you’re eligible for a skilled visa.
Once you have entered your data into the immigration database, you will receive an invite if you achieve enough points to apply for a visa. If you are not selected, your data entry will remain in the database for approximately two years where you can receive an invitation sometime in the near future.
Working Holiday visa
If you’re young, single, and adventurous, a working holiday visa might be for you. This allows skilled workers at the age of 18 to 30 to take on temporary jobs for no more than 12 months, with a maximum 6 months of work for a single employer. It’s a great way to earn money while traveling at Australia for an extended holiday trip.
These are the requirements for visas if you’re seeking to move in and work in Australia. Find out which visa application suits your needs perfectly and make sure to comply with all the necessary requirements so you can start working in Australia.